“Watch this. I'm going to take this puck and put it behind your goalie. No watch, it'll be cool."
Naturally... in his first game back after missing almost 100, David Perron makes it 1-0 six minutes into the game. The rest of the first period would continue to showcase the Blackhawks inability to finish checks or actually run a cycle to get anything going. They had 13 shots, but nothing looked threatening. Even if hits were 12-10 after the first 20 it sure as shit looked like they were getting outworked and outhit at every angle.
Less than a minute into the second Hjalmarsson (or as the STL feed would tell me Jar-malson) jumps off the bench and shot a rocket that would be tipped by Toews past Brian Elliott evening the game at 1. The second period was a nice change of pace as the Blackhawks looked like they were back to giving a shit and playing their game. Toews had a nice shot and picked up his own rebound to shoot it again, but Elliott stood strong. Chris Stewart picks up a puck dropped by a tripped Andrew Brunette making it 2-1 Blues almost half way into the period. The worst penalty kill finally does something with their lives and Hossa gets a shorty goal to even the game up at 2. A few minutes later on the power play, the Sharp shooter snipies one to make it 3-2 Blackhawks.
Then the real fun began.
My feed kept skipping but I do remember seeing some Blues bro grabbing at Kane. Then all a sudden Backes and Toews started going at it. Not to be left out Carcillo jumps in between Penisloaf Backes and Toews pretty enthusiastically thus recieving a double roughing call. Are you still following? Because this is where it gets more confusing meathead filled. As the period continued slashing and backchecking boiled blood between none other than (shocker) Backes and new to the shitshow crowd Dave Bolland. TJ Oshie would get the additional penalty in this charming exchange making the start of the third period a four-on-three advantage for the Blackhawks.
Now onto the third period. Continuing to come out of the cave he’s been hiding in, Hossa scores his second goal of the night, 399th of his career to make it 4-2 god guys. Half way into the period Duncan Keith ready and willing to help his team get their PK out of the cellar, takes a delay of game penalty. Luckily the Blues do nothing with it other than taking a penalty of their own in the final few seconds. Dave Bolland would get another chance to kick it in the penalty box for high sticking, I like to think it was for “Death Staring” with under five left in the game. Tater’s would close out the shitkicking with an empty netter in the final minute making it 5-3 Blackhawks.
Things I liked:
- I don’t care what anyone says, this Jack Daniels Tennessee honey is good.
- Emery looked good, as the game went on he continued to make big saves and gain confidence.
- Strong play all around, especially by the defense.
- Single digit shots on goal from the Blues in each of the three periods.
- Captain Beastmode: 10 points (1G, 1A tonight) in his past five games.
- Duncan Keith with 2A tonight now has 16 on the season, six of those coming in the past five games.
Things I didn’t like:
- I don’t know if I dislike the Blues because they try and pretend to be significant or if I just bring over the hate from being a Cubs fan during the summer.
- Like I said above strong play by the defense, but OD and Montador were benched for a good chunk of the game. Lots of minutes piling up on the top four. Tired legs usually mean more mistakes.
- While he’s gotten six points in the past five games, Patrick Kane hasn’t lit the lamp since his GWG in Vancity (11/16).
- Hey, hey, HEY DAVID BACKES please keep going after Jonathan Toews, it makes you look super tough.
Last night it was great to get the two points, but it didn’t feel like a win. This felt like a win. Tonight’s Blues loss is only the second regulation loss since Ken Hitchcock took over. Additionally Brian Elliott let in more than two goals for the first time all season. Emery had a strong game and with budding confidence over his last start (in that game we dare not speak of), it’d be nice to see Cool Hand Q give Corey a bit more rest and have Emery play Monday against the ‘Yotes.
I’ll leave you with a great screenshot not from this game, but still the best Ken Hitchcock expression ever...
Suck it St. Louis.