Quick note before we get into the recap. As some of you may have already heard, Kelly will no longer be blogging with BHDL (or any other hockey blog for that matter). He's got a new, big time job that takes up most of his days that he used to spend making stupid jokes about hockey with me on Twitter. I can't explain to everyone how vital he was to the BHDL operation. We all want to wish him nothing but the best. I've had an absolute blast since we brought him aboard last summer. We hope that he'll stop by every once in a while with a photoshop of Bolland or the Canucks.
For the second time in less than a week the Hawks went to overtime against the cellar dwelling Islanders. That sounds a lot worse than the result actually was, however.
The Hawks controlled play for most of the first period. It finally payed off almost 12 minutes into the first. While on the power play, Hossa did that "I'm Marian Hossa" thing and banked a shot off of Montoya from below the goal line for the 400th of his career. Sharp made it 2-0 early in the second period off a one timer. I've been working on this theory that Patrick Sharp is a pretty good hockey player and defenses shouldn't leave him open at the faceoff circle. Thanks to the Isles for testing that one out for me.
Travis Hamonic brought it within one towards the end of the second period on a big slapper. The Hawks had some trouble clearing their own zone and Hamonic came streaking into the zone uncovered. The next Islander goal wouldn't come until about 9 minutes left in the 3rd, but it would be enough to tie the game and force OT. Steve Staios ripped a shot from the left side boards. To me it looked like it was deflected in front by Okposo, but the goal is still credited to Staios on NHL.com.
After some tense moments with the Hawks killing a stupid Carcillo penalty with 3 minutes remaining in regulation of a tie game (seriously, can you pick a worse time, Dan?), we were "treated" to some extra hockey on Long Island. Just 1:34 into the extra frame the Blackhawks would pick up the extra point. There should really be some rule banning Hossa and Sharp being on the same line in OT, but there isn't. Hossa skated in 2-on-1 with Sharp on his wing, put a low shot on Montoya, and Sharpy finished on the rebound. Game, set, match.
- You never want to see a player get injured. You especially never want to see a player go scrotum first into a goal post.
- Pouty Face Corey Crawford sitting off in the corner was hilarious.
- Patrick Kane's phantom elbow almost cost us the game. Thankfully, we played the Islanders and they couldn't even put a shot on net with almost two full minutes of 5-on-3.
- Sunday on the Puckcast the Hockeenight guys mentioned that Carcillo is going to start taking some dumb penalties as he gets comfortable with his roster spot. Spot on, boys.
- As we get closer to the birth of Patrick Sharp's daughter, his play keeps improving. His wife is due next week. I expect an Ovechtrick against the Wild on Wednesday.
- There's always something fun about milestone goals. I'm sure we all remember where we were when Peter Bondra scored his 500th career goal when he was playing with the Hawks in 2006. Right? Guys? Right? (Naw, but really, I remember being at that game. BONZAI).
- Still looking for a gif of Montoya taking a tumble into the boards.
- Emery looked solid. If Okposo did tip that second goal in, you can't fault him for it. Good night in net for him, but I'm ready to see CrawDaddy come back.
- Bolland took a nasty spill on the first shift of the game and it scared me stupid until he came back out. Can we get that guy a bubble to live in?
- Couple days off before we get the Sharks on Sunday. Would love to see two points against a western team in the Madhouse.
Good to know I'm not the only one who A. gets sad looking at Crawford and his sad panda face and B. has a mild coronary every time Bolland gets up slowly.
I am sad if the once the player gets injured.... I can feel their pain but that is part of the player's life.