The Hawks won this game when they walked in the building. Its pretty nice having a team that's capable of utterly dominating on any given night. No surprise the Blackhawks were able to do that against the Phoenix Coyotes on Tuesday night.
It was a game that never really felt close. The Hawks came out flying, drawing penalties, and getting more shots on goal than Jobing.com Arena had empty seats.
Through the first period it felt like the Hawks were going to have to really work hard for the win. LaBarbera was playing well despite a huge negative shot differential. It seems ridiculous now, but that whole "bad goalie stands on head against hawks" thing was looking like a possibility for a while. LaBarbera had never lost against the Hawks going into the game. Hossa broke that spell 15 minutes in with a lazy, half-assed slapper from inside the left circle on the power play. But hey, he's Marian Hossa. And you're not. The Hawks would take the 1-0 lead into the intermission, bitch smacking the shot totals 15-4.
Period 2 was level if we're only looking at the scoreboard. Both teams netted two goals, but the ice was seriously tilted towards Phoenix's zone. Pyatt tied the game early in the second after Crawford squeaked out a rebound on a screened shot. Four minutes later RoboCaptain followed up on a Brunette shot and stuffed home the rebound. Phoenix would get even again after Duncan Keith tripped on the white paint on the ice and coughed up the puck. While I admire Montador's attempt to screen on the play, Crawford probably thinks he makes a better door than a window.
Duns would attone for his sins less than a minute later. He ripped a point shot (AND DIDN'T HIT ANYONES SHINS). Mayers got a piece of wood on it, scoring his first as a Blackhawk. 3-2 Hawks heading into the third. Hawks led the shots 12-5.
Hawks fans should be very worried. Someone has abducted the team that was on the ice last year and replaced them with competent hockey players. In a shocking reversal, the Blackhawks came out and played hard in the third period with a one goal lead. The Hawks were shorthanded for the first four minutes of the third. The only shot during that span was from Dave Bolland. The troll picked up the puck just inside the Coyotes blue line and, despite having a clear lane to the net, took one step in and ripped a slapper past LOLbarbera. Bickell iced the game at 9:06 on a short side wrister from the dot. Hawks win 5-2.
- Sent a text before the game that said "Look for Toews to step his game up." One goal on four shots and 17 for 21 on faceoffs. I'll make sure I don't get hurt patting myself on the back.
- PATRICK KANE CENTER WATCH: 0 G, 0 A, -1, 1 Shot, 5 for 9 on faceoffs.
- The third line of Trolland, Bicks, and Taters was phenomenal. The key to the Bickell goal was Frolik making an awesome pass to spring him. Great game from all three.
- Hjalmarsson wasn't too good. I think that's the first time I've said that this year, so I'm not concerned about it.
- Montador took a shot in the third period that was so slow that I'm not sure it made it to the net yet.
- Keith and Toews were the only two Hawks with over 20 minutes of ice time. 24:13 for Dunc. 20:17 for Johnny. See what happens when you don't have to waste a roster spot on John Scott, Joel?
- Crawford wasn't great, wasn't awful.
- The "disallowed goal" was hilarious. The "are you fuckin' kidding me" look from LOLbarbera to the ref as Sharpy put the puck past him will never stop being funny. I don't even care that that goal didn't count, its already on my top 10 for the year.
- Hawks win. Canucks, Blues, Blue Jackets lose. I'm a happy human. We'll see you on Thursday.