Everybody feels good donating to charity. And every Blackhawks fan loves trolling Detroit and the Red Wings. Good friend of the blog and Malort-drinker extraordinaire Fork from Hockeenight.com emailed me a couple of days ago about an opportunity to hopefully accomplish both.
The boys over at Wings blog The Winged Wheel have started a donation drive for Learning Through Giving, which helps improve and provide for our Chicago underserved schools. If this hasn't enticed you enough to donate (it should, you cold heartless jerk), there's more. As I said, TWW have a drive going and they have prizes. In their own words, here's how you enter the contest:
How Can I Donate?
- Go to the Learning Through Giving Cause Page, join the cause through Facebook, and donate to your heart's content. As the administrator, Mike will record your donation, and secure your entry.
- If you aren't all hip with the Facebooks, or you just don't want to use it for some reason, you can make a direct donation through the Learning Through Giving Cause Page, without signing in. If you do that, however, you'll need to send your information and the amount you donated to me at
so that we can record your entry.
- You can also send a check made out to Genesis Therapy Center (put Schools Program in the Memo line) at the following address:
Genesis Therapy Center
6006 W. 159th St, Bldg. C
Oak Forest, IL 60452
(Again, if you choose to donate this way, send me an
to confirm your entry)
All payments are completely secure, and all donations are Tax Deductible. If you'd like a receipt, just email me and I'll make sure that happens for you.
All entries before puck drop for the Wings season opener on October 7th against Paul MacLean's moustache will be entered into the contest.
Email me or inquire on the twitters (@captnorris5) if you have any questions. Also, if you've got something to donate to raffle off as well to sweeten the pot and help entice even more good deeds, shoot me an email and we can put it up.
So, what's the prize you ask? Again, in TWW's own words:
The Winged Wheel's "Who's Got the Biggest Charity Boner" Contest
You know, or whatever else you want to call it, in the interest of appropriateness.
For all those who donate, join the cause, or recruit others, you'll be entered into a raffle for a Red Wings Jersey, signed by Henrik Zetterberg shown at the top of this post.
A couple of years ago, at H2H, I was lucky enough to win this bad lad as a raffle prize. It's made its appearance at one exhibition game, but has otherwise sat in a revered corner of my closet. Well, I'm confident it can be put to better use, and what better use than this?
Everyone who joins and passes along the information to others will get an entry into the raffle. PLUS, you'll also get an entry for every dollar you so generously choose to contribute. By following the links below, you can donate any amount.
AS AN ADDED BONUS: For the individual who donates the highest amount, I'll throw in the following:
- The Winged Wheel will change it's banner to one of your design for three months. You can have it proclaim your glory, honor your favorite player, or hell - if you're a fan of a rival team that would like revenge for all the mean things I say about you - you can even have it pay tribute to your inferior, crappy excuse for a hockey program. The only limitations are that I won't mock Stevie or Vladdy. Everyone else is fair game.
- I'll also do my damndest to write and record a Winged Wheel original song, based on the topic of your choice. Same idea as above - it can be about anything. It should be noted, that I make absolutely no guarantee that the song itself will consist of anything resembling talent or ability - but hell, I'll try my best.
Sounds pretty enticing, eh? Think about it. Your neighborhood bum in a Zetterburg jersey? Maybe laying the jersey out over a puddle for a young lady to step on so she doesn't ruin her shoes? Getting your say of what goes on the banner at a well-read Wings blog? A SONG? C'mon guys, let's get on this. If you'd like the full scoop, please visit the post at The Winged Wheel and please, be generous and open up your wallets and purses for this worthy cause.
Thanks again to Fork for passing this info onto us and to Greg at TWW for starting the contest and putting up a nice prize.